Thursday, February 23, 2012

Training Rides...



This week I was finally able to get out into the sunshine and ride along with Chris on his training runs, and I could see right away why our proxy riders, Maddie and Amber, were enjoying the experience. Wow, fresh air, sunshine, and someone to push while I just sit back and savor the thrill of the ride, this is delightful!





First I thought... I'd very selfishly claim the blessing of the mildest winter weather I can recall in my experience in Chicagoland, as Gods favor on our quest...and why not? After all on a beautiful June day in 2010, our beach wedding, got rained out, as a severe thunder storm passed through the area at the exact time it was to commence. Four months later, a very large deer ran into our brand new CRV, nearly totaling it. Did I mention, this happened while we were on our way to church? And...two months later, we got the news that I had ALS!

Through it all my faith and my sense of humor, have stayed remarkably in tact, so I say sunny 40 degree weather in Chicagoland in February is gift intended just for us, and I dare you to argue the point, no matter how crazy or delusional it sounds to you. Stake your own claims...I won't stand in your way.

I was elated that Chris chose to run my old rollerblade route, a three mile loop I would repeatedly race around to the point of exhaustion, at any opportunity during the warmer months. Still...my personal best at seven laps or 21 miles, would be shy of Chris' challenge to push me 26.2 in May.  I've been joking about needing a blindfold for the marathon knowing how fast Chris can run, but I really wouldn't want to miss one moment of the experience.

Chris shares the excitement of his riders, so it seems that he likes to have a chatty passenger, but for me, the relationship with the course was much too intimate to divert my focus with conversation.
You see... it had been two summers since I'd felt the vibrations from the wheels against the pavement, and as they were emanating from the footboard where my feet were tethered, they were pulling me back into the memory. I closed my eyes, focused on the movement of the jogger, and slipped back into my skates to savor the run.

I didn't have to open my eyes to know that we were winding down Saddleridge, or headed downhill on Bridle. I could still feel the burn in my quads as we pushed up Old Forge and Appaloosa, and I giggled when he took the steep winding path by the park at full speed.

This was more than a training run for me; it was a chance to feel a little bit of the joy I used to feel under my feet; it was a wonderful gift, and I can't wait to get back out there.
Thank you Chris...

2 comments:

  1. Denise and Chris,

    Thank you so much for sharing your stories with us as you 'train' for the NJ Marathon. Everyone at the Les Turner ALS is so honored and inspired by the two of you as you get ready for the big run. The support you have received from family, friends and strangers, is truly admirable and we are all going to be anxious to hear about all that goes on on race day.

    The Les Turner ALS Foundation is very grateful for this tremendous effort both physically and financially that have set your sights on and I can't wait to give you both a personal send-off when we present you with the Patient of Year award at our annual meeting on April 29th.

    Thank you for all you are doing.

    Wendy Abrams
    Executive Director, Les Turner ALS Foundation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Wendy,

      It is our sincere privilege to be able to be able to run on behalf of The Les Turner ALS Foundation, and all of the families, who, like us, depend on the practical support we receive from its compassionate and committed staff. We are also filled with hope as Dr. Teepu Siddique and his team continues their ground breaking research to find the cause and effective treatment for those suffering from this debilitating disease!

      While honored by the acknowledgement of our efforts, the real recognition belongs to the many friends, family members, co-workers, and the community of teachers, parents, and students in the Naperville School System. None of this would be possible without their help.

      With heartfelt gratitude,
      Denise and Chris

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you; please feel free to send a comment or question.