Wednesday, November 23, 2011

I'm no Slacker...

It's been a rough week or so, and I have to admit I just haven't had the energy to write... But I would hate for any of you to think I was just slacking off so I'm going to  try to fill you in between naps.

On top of my every day physical challenges with ALS, I've been in the throws of my semi annual allergy attack which involves: head congestion, sinus pressure, a nose that runs like a leaky faucet, a choking cough driven largely by a post-nasal drip, and a case of what my doctor refers to as Eustachian Tube Dysfunction (ETD). Yet another incurable disorder I managed to score in the gene pool, that will often cause me to stick my fingers in my ears at what might seem to be an inappropriate moment. 

In short my head feels like a lead ballon and every orifice within it is clogged in some fashion. My former co-workers can attest to witnessing this event in the Spring and Fall of every year; it is most notably recognized by the choking cough that is about as pleasant to listen to as nails on a chalkboard. I assure you, it is as annoying for the chokee, as it is for those unfortunate enough to be in earshot.

Now, there are some OTC and Rx options, that can help manage the symptoms until a lasting frost kills off the allergens but these remedies often zap me into another stratosphere. 

Pre-ALS, taking these medications often made me loopy but I remained somewhat functional, meaning I could take them after I arrived at work, as to avoid operating heavy machinery while drug induced, and get through the day fairly well. I would likely be more amusing than usual under these conditions, and the worst thing I can remember happening, was when I accidentally headed into the men's room instead of the ladies room. No worries, I caught myself in time...

Post ALS, the combination of my regular medications and those that help manage my allergies simply knock me out. I find myself falling asleep while sitting at my PC, waking only to realize two hours have essentially evaporated.
 
I'm usually up early but since there's no school this week, I took the liberty of sleeping in the past few days to try to get some extra rest. I wake surrounded by small creatures trapping me beneath the covers: Crabby the kitty sleeps off my left shoulder, Nik, a larger kitty is planted directly on my chest, and to my right competing for space, lay Maddie, my adorable eight year old with Blue, our jealous Border Collie mix, sprawled across her tiny body to rest his head on my right shoulder. 

Nik and Blue take turns licking my face, and Nik sneaks an occasional nip on my nose, until I pull one of my otherwise pinned arms, out from under the covers and give in to petting them. And so another day begins...by the time I get up, shower, dress and take my meds, I'm about two hours away from a nap...

So much as cold temperatures are not my preference, I would be pleased with a nice frost to put an end to current unproductive schedule.

1 comment:

  1. This warm weather does seem to be hanging on for a long time. I definitely don't care for the cold temps but would choose that over not being able to breath through my nose. That's the worst! Have you ever been tested for allergies? I know you love your pets but that could be adding to your outdoor allergies and making your "cup run over" as explained by my doctor. Debbie LaPlante

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you; please feel free to send a comment or question.